Wednesday 13 July 2016

Review: Air Awakens (Air Awakens #1) by Elise Kova

Title: Air Awakens
Author: Elise Kova
My rating: 5 please-give-me-more hearts
Genre: Young Adult, High Fantasy, Romance
Pub. date: August 27th 2015
Publisher: Silver Wing Press
Synopsis: A library apprentice, a sorcerer prince, and an unbreakable magic bond...

The Solaris Empire is one conquest away from uniting the continent, and the rare elemental magic sleeping in seventeen-year-old library apprentice Vhalla Yarl could shift the tides of war.

Vhalla has always been taught to fear the Tower of Sorcerers, a mysterious magic society, and has been happy in her quiet world of books. But after she unknowingly saves the life of one of the most powerful sorcerers of them all—the Crown Prince Aldrik—she finds herself enticed into his world. Now she must decide her future: Embrace her sorcery and leave the life she’s known, or eradicate her magic and remain as she’s always been. And with powerful forces lurking in the shadows, Vhalla’s indecision could cost her more than she ever imagined. (synopsis from Goodreads)
My thoughts: I stumbled upon this book totally by chance, and I’m so happy I did. I’d like to think I’d find it sooner or later anyway, but you never know, and to think I could’ve missed this!

I love Vhalla

The main character, Vhalla, is great. She is an apprentice in the library at the palace, and she loves reading. She has great respect for books, and she likes to read while she’s pretending to work. When she finds out she’s a sorcerer, she immediately turns to books to find out more. I really liked that, as that’s exactly what I’d do. Whenever something happens, doesn’t matter what it is, I turn to books. It was fun to read about another booklover like me.

   Vhalla is a relatable character, and not just because of her love for books. Her reactions, her actions, it all feels very realistic and relatable. I loved reading about her. She’s smart and rarely makes hasty decisions. Instead, she tries to learn more about it in order to make sure she makes the right decision. She’s nice and selfless, and the last thing she wants is to hurt someone, physically or otherwise. She’s just a great character, and I’m looking forward to reading more about her.

   Enough about Vhalla. As much as I love her, I must say, I love prince Aldrik more. He is really good-looking, with high cheekbones and blue eyes, and that’s enough to make me a happy fangirl. But that’s not all. Believe it or not, I’m not that shallow. He’s sarcastic and can be cold at times, but there were some moments (few, but they were there) when he showed a different side to Vhalla, a sweeter, protective side, that just made me fall for him even more. He’s mysterious, definitely, but there are enough nice moments to keep me interested in learning more.

Kova balances perfectly between fantasy and reality

In High Fantasy, it’s important that the reader gets introduced to the new world in a good way. Elise Kova did it perfectly. She added glimpses of the world every now and then, but she didn’t write a full history of the world in the first part of the book before getting into the plot. No, she added small facts in conversation between the characters, or by Vhalla learning something new. That way, there was more focus on the plot, and less focus about learning everything about this new world in the first fourth of the book. Nothing ever felt over-explained, which was great. This made the book more enjoyable, and balanced perfectly between fantasy and reality.

   I’m not sure what to say about the ending, other than it was awful, and that I’m scared to start Fire Falling after that ending. But there is great potential for the next book, so at the same time, I’m really excited to start reading and see what happens with Vhalla and Aldrik. So if you don’t mind, I’ll just finish this review and start reading Fire Falling now.

   To sum it up, this book was way better than I could’ve hoped for. With great, relatable characters that will be impossible not to love, amazing fantasy, and an ending that will make you want to read the next book immediately, this book was exactly what I want from a Fantasy book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.