Monday 29 August 2016

Review: A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2) by Sarah J. Maas

*Review contains spoilers for A Court of Thorns and Roses, but not A Court of Mist and Fury. Please do not read unless you have read the previous book in the series.*

Title: A Court of Mist and Fury
Author: Sarah J. Maas
My rating: Can I give it more than 5 hearts?
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Pub. date: May 3rd
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Synopsis: Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her ha rrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.

With more than a million copies sold of her beloved Throne of Glass series, Sarah J. Maas's masterful storytelling brings this second book in her seductive and action-packed series to new heights. (synopsis from Goodreads)


My thoughts: What is happening to my life? Why haven’t I read her books earlier? Seriously, how could I go so long without this in my life?

   I shouldn’t be surprised that the second book was better, not after Crown of Midnight, and yet Maas managed to surprise me. Again. If these books will also keep getting better, I seriously doubt I’ll survive another books. I’m not sure how I’ll survive the next book!

   So, what was so good about ACOMAF?

   Where to even start? The characters, the plot, the writing, the world… Basically, everything was so good about ACOMAF. I loved Feyre in ACOTAR, but after all the character development in this book, far more than in ACOTAR, I love her even more! She is a changed girl/Fae since the ending of ACOTAR, and she’s struggling to deal with her actions Under the Mountain, as is Tamlin. But I’ll get to him later. Feyre has nightmares, and even though, ultimately, she saved Prythian from Amarantha, she still feels horrible about the things she did. Every day is a struggle. Tamlin’s behaviour doesn’t exactly help.

   While his protectiveness in ACOTAR was okay, sweet, even, he takes it to a whole new level in ACOMAF, and I don’t like it. Neither does Feyre. In his attempts to protect her, he smothers her. Locking a girl like Feyre in is a big mistake. As I mentioned in my review of ACOTAR, Feyre wants to be included, she wants to help, too, not be protected and lied to. And she certainly doesn’t want to be stuck in a house, unable to leave. I don’t doubt that Tamlin loves Feyre, but he’s not making it better for her by acting like she’s a fragile piece of porcelain that will break. He’s giving her space when she needs support, and he’s smothering her when she needs space.

   So, no romance, then?

   Wrong. While I’m not too happy with Tamlin right now, we have a new interest, namely Rhysand. Oh my God, where to even start? As much as I loved Tamlin in ACOTAR, it’s nothing on how much I love Rhysand. Rhysand is the perfect love interest; he’s mysterious, but always honest with Feyre, he’s sarcastic, but has some really sweet and swoon-worthy moments. And he’s perfect for Feyre. He includes her in his plans, and lets her decide what she wants to do. He never lies to her, or tries to protect her by keeping her out of the things going on. Instead, she decides if she wants to be part of them or not, even though he hates seeing her in danger.

Rhysand is the perfect mix between mysterious and open, sarcastic and sweet, protective and including. I absolutely love him!

   We get to see more of Prythian!

   And it’s so awesome! While most of the book is set in Velaris, the Court of Dreams, the nice part of the Night Court, we also get to see the Court of Nightmares, which is the official, not-so-nice part of the Night Court, and we learn more about the other courts, too, and their High Lords. And I really like what I found out. I absolutely love Velaris, and the new characters we meet there are absolutely amazing! Mor is really awesome and optimistic, Cassian is badass and sarcastic, Azriel is dark and brooding, Amren is cunning and mysterious. Basically, there are a lot of new characters that you can’t help but love!

   And that ending!


   I’m still crying! I hated that ending because I have to wait until next year until the next book, and I don’t know if I’ll survive the wait, and I’m honestly scared to find out what happens in the next book, because I know I won’t like it. I’m just hoping for more Feysand. But the twist in the end was awesome! It was perfect! I can’t wait for the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.