Tuesday 16 January 2018

Review: Wicked (A Wicked Saga #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Wicked
Series: A Wicked Saga
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 5 hearts
Genre: New Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Pub. date: December 8th 2014
SynopsisThings are about to get Wicked in New Orleans.

Twenty-two year old Ivy Morgan isn’t your average college student. She, and others like her, know humans aren’t the only thing trolling the French Quarter for fun… and for food. Her duty to the Order is her life. After all, four years ago, she lost everything at the hands of the creatures she’d sworn to hunt, tearing her world and her heart apart.

Ren Owens is the last person Ivy expected to enter her rigidly controlled life. He’s six feet and three inches of temptation and swoon-inducing charm. With forest-green eyes and a smile that’s surely left a stream of broken hearts in its wake, he has an uncanny, almost unnatural ability to make her yearn for everything he has to offer. But letting him in is as dangerous as hunting the cold-blooded killers stalking the streets. Losing the boy she loved once before had nearly destroyed her, but the sparking tension that grows between them becomes impossible for Ivy to deny. Deep down, she wants… she needs more than what her duty demands of her, what her past has shaped for her.

But as Ivy grows closer to Ren, she realizes she’s not the only one carrying secrets that could shatter the frail bond between them. There’s something he’s not telling her, and one thing is for certain. She’s no longer sure what is more dangerous to her—the ancient beings threatening to take over the town or the man demanding to lay claim to her heart and her soul. (synopsis from Goodreads)

Holy shit. Holy freaking shit. This book... no words. I don't even know where to start reviewing this book. And that ending... oh my god. Now please leave me to my misery 

That was me two hours ago. Now, two hours later, I’m still as struck speechless. I honestly have no idea why I keep getting so surprised at how much I love the books by JLA, but I do, which makes it oh so hard to review her books, when I'm freaking out like crazy. So I decided to try something new to sort out my thoughts on this. So I made a list of all the things I loved about it. 
  • Ivy. She’s so badass and fun to read about and just awesome!
  • Ren. Can we just take a moment to swoon over how incredibly hot this guy is? And then cry because he’s not real?
  • Tink is just too funny – and he loves Harry Potter, so I have to love him.
  • The plot is so fast-paced and interesting and amazing.
  • The writing is, as usual, incredible. And when I read this book, I finally figured out one of the things that makes her writing so magical and captivating; amidst the seriousness, she uses such a fun and relatable voice and somehow manages to ass humour in such a natural way that lightens up the mood and makes you crack a smile, even when your heart is working triple time and the tension is so thick you want to cry.
  • The fae. As you probably know by now, I absolutely love the fae, and that JLA would write about them is about the best thing that could happen to me. And of course she twists it up and make sit into something unique and interesting. And I have to admit, the Prince terrifies me. Absolutely terrifies me.

So, this book had me in tears by the time I was finished, because I was freaking out so much I didn’t even know what to think. Some of the twists were pretty predictable, but I’ve found that when it’s a JLA book, it doesn’t even matter, because in this case, it made the experience so much better. Instead of making it feel predictable and boring, it made the book even more intense, and I was honestly so freaked out that I had to put the book down and breathe – and I might’ve screamed into my pillow, because it was better than crying.

And let’s not even talk about the ending. Even though it was expected, it was seriously upsetting. I wanted to start reading the second book right away, but at the same time, I was so emotionally unstable after reading Wicked that I had to take a break, or I would probably break down completely. (Because let’s pretend that didn’t already happen, multiple times, while I read Wicked.)


I could go on and on about how much I loved this book and how much you really, seriously have to read it for days on end, but I don’t want to bore you with that, so I’ll just finish it by telling you that if you don’t read this, you’re seriously missing out. There are no words to describe how much I loved this book, so you’ll just have to read it to find out *wink, wink*.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.