Saturday 13 January 2018

Review: Wintersong (Wintersong #1) by S. Jae-Jones

Title: Wintersong
Author: S. Jae-Jones
My rating: 5 hearts
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Pub. date: February 7th 2017
Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books
SynopsisBeware the goblin men and the wares they sell.

All her life, nineteen-year-old Liesl has heard tales of the beautiful, mysterious Goblin King. He is the Lord of Mischief, the Ruler Underground, and the muse around which her music is composed. Yet, as Liesl helps shoulder the burden of running her family’s inn, her dreams of composition and childish fancies about the Goblin King must be set aside in favor of more practical concerns.

But when her sister Käthe is taken by the goblins, Liesl journeys to their realm to rescue her sister and return her to the world above. The Goblin King agrees to let Käthe go—for a price. The life of a maiden must be given to the land, in accordance with the old laws. A life for a life, he says. Without sacrifice, nothing good can grow. Without death, there can be no rebirth. In exchange for her sister’s freedom, Liesl offers her hand in marriage to the Goblin King. He accepts.

Down in the Underground, Liesl discovers that the Goblin King still inspires her—musically, physically, emotionally. Yet even as her talent blossoms, Liesl’s life is slowly fading away, the price she paid for becoming the Goblin King’s bride. As the two of them grow closer, they must learn just what it is they are each willing to sacrifice: her life, her music, or the end of the world. (synopsis from Goodreads)

When I went to update my status from ‘currently reading’ to ‘I’m finished’, I realized just how true those words are. I’m finished. Done. I can’t anymore. I just can’t. This book broke me, guys.

I went into this book with really high expectations. I haven’t seen Labyrinth, though Wintersong has made me want to watch it. I’d heard a lot of good about it, and it’s been pretty hyped, and I was hyped about it. Often, this is a very bad sign. This time, it wasn’t. Wintersong deserves all the hype.

I love the main character!

Liesl is just so much fun to read about! She’s very responsible, takes care of her family and doesn’t do a lot for herself. She’s selfless and I really liked reading about her. What was even better was that she changes so much throughout the book – but not too much so, so that it gets unbelievable. Her character growth is incredible. I loved it!

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the Goblin King?

I loved the Goblin King from the moment I saw him. No kidding. Liesl sees him in the market for a few seconds and I’m in love. And it just gets worse from there. Seriously, it’s silly how much I love him. It’s just… he’s so mysterious… and he can be cruel… but also sweet… I just love him, okay?! Don’t judge! He’s such an interesting character, and you just can’t stop reading because you need to find out more about him!

The plot is great!

I really liked the plot. It was unique and different and interesting, and it kept you glued to the pages. It really hooks the reader. My only complaint about this book is that the last part of it was a bit slow, not much happened, but since I cared so much about the characters, I couldn’t stop reading anyway.

The writing is amazing

The writing really fit the book perfectly. It just added this mood to the book, this magic, that makes the book absolutely magical and wonderful. It really transports you to the pages of the book, and keeps you there.

So, to sum this up, you need to read this book. Wintersong has it all; a relatable heroine, a swoon—worthy love interest, a unique plot and magical writing. It will take you on an emotional roller-coaster like you won’t believe, and keep you hooked from page one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.