Tuesday 6 February 2018

The magic of libraries - Assassin of Truths ARC Review

*Disclaimer: I received an Advance Readers Copy from the publisher in exchange for review consideration. This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed in this review are unbiased and my own.*

Title: Assassin of Truths
Series: The Library Jumpers #3
Author: Brenda Drake
My rating: 3.5 hearts
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Pub. date: February 6th 2018
SynopsisThe gateways linking the great libraries of the world don’t require a library card, but they do harbor incredible dangers.

And it’s not your normal bump-in-the- night kind. The threats Gia Kearns faces are the kind with sharp teeth and knifelike claws. The kind that include an evil wizard hell-bent on taking her down.

Gia can end his devious plan, but only if she recovers seven keys hidden throughout the world’s most beautiful libraries. And then figures out exactly what to do with them.

The last thing she needs is a distraction in the form of falling in love. But when an impossible evil is unleashed, love might be the only thing left to help Gia save the world. (synopsis from Goodreads)

I was a little disappointed with this book, if I’m honest. When I read the first book, Thief of Lies, I was surprised by how much I loved the story. But the second book wasn’t quite as good, and this one didn’t reach those expectations, either. It was a good read, and the storyline, the world, is really interesting, but the characters annoyed me in this book, and the plot was a bit hard to get into at first.

I was really annoyed by Gia in this book.

In the previous books, she was awesome and badass and I really loved her. In this book, she felt like a totally new character. She’s still caring and she does still know how to fight, but it felt like she overthought and worried too much about everything, and the smallest of things would make her panic. She just felt really different from the other books, and I didn’t like that. Plus, she’s determined to do everything on her own. When something happens, her first reaction is to sneak away in the night, not telling anyone what she’s doing. Trusting her friends to help her would’ve saved her a lot of anxiety.

I’m not totally convinced by the romance.

Okay, I’ll admit it; I still want Gia and Arik together. I don’t really like Gia and Bastien together. They felt kind of forced and hurried in the second book, and that was the case with this book, too. Sure, they have some cute moments, and there are moments where Bastien is great and really supportive of her, but only when she’s in pain for one reason or the other. When she’s fighting, trying to save people, putting herself in danger, he’s angry. And okay, sometimes she makes mistakes, but she can take care of herself. And it really bothered me how he kept refusing to accept that she could, that she didn’t need a protector.

The plot was good.

At first, I found it really hard to get into it the story. Not because it was slow, but because it started out very fast. There was no gradual introduction to the plot, but it started right away with a lot of things happening at once, and it made it a bit hard to get into the book at first. But apart from those first few chapters, I loved how full of action and twists the book was.

The world is totally awesome.

I love the world. People say that reading books takes you to new places, and I really liked the idea that books could literally take you to a different place. And I loved that the libraries were literally such magical places – not that I didn’t already know that. It’s such a great concept, and I loved reading about this world. Plus, the Sentinels are totally awesome. I definitely want to be a Sentinel when I grow up (okay, I’m already grown up, but whatever).

To sum it up, I enjoyed reading the book. The plot was good and the world is unique and interesting. But I didn’t like the characters or the romance, and the main character felt like she’d changed a lot since the other books. Overall, I’d definitely recommend the series though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.