Sunday 15 April 2018

Blogger of the Month: Sammy from Sammy's Shelf


Hey you guys! This Blogger of the Month is a little late, but in any case, I'm so excited to feature Sammy from Sammy's Shelf! I first found her on Instagram (her photos are gorgeous, by the way), and I've followed her and her blog for a long time. She's really sweet and you should definitely check out her blog! Without further ado, here's the interview I did with her!
What book got you into reading as a habit? 
I think this is a very common answer, but it was probably the Harry Potter series that really drew me into the role of "bookworm". I've enjoyed books as long as I can remember, but Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was potentially the first book I'd read where I was immediately desperate to find out what happened in the rest of the series. *queue long and painful waits for new titles*

What about it made you want to continue reading? 
Prior to that I had been reading childrens books which although were part of larger series, all could stand alone as books. So Harry Potter was my first taste at a book that was part of something bigger. I think at that age (I think I was 5 or 6 when I started reading it) this wonderful world of magic along with the most amazing trio of friends just captivated me! And of course I was looking forward to receiving my Hogwarts letter via owl in a few years!

What do you like to do apart from reading? 
I really enjoy going to the gym and being out playing sports. I recently finished university and got my first real job - there are definitely not enough hours in the day to do all the things I love. I also love love love baking! Particularly cupcakes, and brownies. My favourites being anything Oreo based! <3

What things can you not live without? 
I can't live without my books, of course! But also chocolate! A great evening in for me is snuggling up with a blanket, a good book, and some tasty treats.

What is a book/series that you would recommend everyone to read? (I know this is a tough one to pick, so feel free to pick a few!) 
Of course, Harry Potter. But I think lots of people have read that now! 
If you haven't read any if V.E. Schwab's books I highly recommend those, in particular the Shades of Magic trilogy is a favourite of mine. As well as Sarah J. Maas' Throne of Glass series, and the I Am Number Four series by Pittacus Lore for all the YA/ Sci-Fi fans out there! There really are too many to list, I think the Grisha Duology by Leigh Bardugo has to get a mention too though!

What are your go-to authors when you want something you just know you're going to love? 
Definitely Cassandra Clare, and V.E. Schwab. Though this past year I have come across so many new authors who's books I have so far loved; Leigh Bardugo, Alwyn Hamilton, Samantha Shannon (and the list continues for like another 100 pages...!)

Whose books you automatically add to your TBR without even reading the synopsis? Why? 
Cassandra Clare again, mostly because it's likely to be related to Shadowhunters which is a world I really love!

How do you pick which book to read next? 
Usually I go on a gut feeling. Most of the time I have a list of books I need to read and review too so necessity plays a bit of a role but if I really don't feel like reading that exact book at that time I won't as I know I probably won't enjoy it as much. I envy those people who can make TBR lists and stick to them - I'm very much a "mood-reader"!

What made you want to start blogging? 
I started while I was at university; I had seen people talking about NetGalley on instagram and teally wanted to get involved. I then found it to be a great way for me to process the books I'd just read so now it's more out of habit I'll read and review a book :)

What was the hardest part of starting your blog? What is the hardest part of blogging right now? 
Starting my blog and growing my following was much slower compared to instagram, but I don't concentrate on that so much now, and just blog for myself. So the biggest challenge now is keeping up with blogging and trying to balance it with work, reading, and other hobbies!

What is your favourite part about blogging? 
My favourite part is discovering new blogs! Because new blogs means new ideas and recommendations; I'm a sucker for a new title and rarely have the willpower to resist buying a book! (Oops)
But mainly the online bookish community is fab; in general really supportive and great fun to interact with!

What is your favourite kind of post? Why?
My favourite posts are posts I read about people's book related days out; going to bookish events etc. They're also my favourite to write - they're unique and allow such freedom in writing!

Name some bloggers you'd love to meet in person! 
And
They're all awesome people with awesome blogs!

What is your favourite quote? What do you love about it? 
It's a quote from the Harry Potter books and I love it because it just makes me laugh every time! I do love the ones that provide a deeper meaning too but this cheers me up everytime I read it!
“You haven't got a letter on yours," George observed. "I suppose she thinks you don't forget your name. But we're not stupid-we know we're called Gred and Forge.”

What advice would you give to someone who's just starting their blog? 

It's going to be slow at first; it's still slow for me and I've been at it a year. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing and find your own style because then you'll love what you do. It's important you remember you're doing your blog for you and no one else :)

Thank you so much for answering my questions, Sammy!


Hi everyone, 
A quick introduction: my name is Sammy, I'm a London-based, ex-Mathematics student who just loves to read! For me it's the most magical escape and I love all the different lives I've lived through the thousands upon thousands of pages I've read.

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

I receive some books from authors, publishers and third party sites (such as Netgalley). This does in no way affect my opinion, and all thoughts expressed on this blog are unbiased and my own. I do not get compensated in any way or form.